Tuesday, April 10, 2012

When the going gets tough, the tough get growing!

I was in a funk, as my mother coined it many a year ago. You know. That place where even a cold diet Dr. Pepper and the color pink can't get you smiling. It wasn't a surprise, actually. The past few weeks, even months, have been "roller-coastery" at best. Many things were/are going on: Melissa's admittance to BYU and all that goes with planning that from hundreds of miles away, Jim's mom and her failing health, 2 funerals for young people that we had grown to love...

And in the midst of it all, I had gotten to a place where I felt like I was missing it all. My kids are growing up faster than I care for them to and soon the little ones would be filling out their own college admission papers. I wanted to shout, "Hey! Wait a minute! I'm not done yet!"

Enter in, stage left, Blogs. It may sound crazy, but when I get to this dismal existance, I turn to a few blogs that help me remember what's important in life. One of my favorites has pictures of beautiful flowers that she has sprouted and I was instantly calmed by the color and delicate nature of their blossems...Her home shows warmth and love...Her life shows simplicity...Sigh...

Then I remembered the little jars that Rebekah had waiting in my bathroom. They were filled with the most adorable beginnings of butternut squash. Just 3 little plants, but they had been planted by HER and she tenderly referred to them as her "babies" and coddled them just as such. Hmmm....Yes! I believe planting those babies was in order!

Wal-Mart must have seen me coming. Not only did we get a pool to plant her babies in, but we ended up with tomatoes, flowers, squash, strawberries, more tomatoes, seeds for flowers, some herbs, and...did I mention tomatoes?

Jazz hands!
Needless to say, we all planted our hearts out and found that missing piece (peace). Every morning these new babies are tended to with the sweetest of care. I feel more centered. More connected. We are doing something together. We're making memories. It's all good!


1 comment: